Thursday, May 28, 2015

Week 5: "ALL I WANT TO DO IS SPEAK POLISH!"

Dzien Dobry!

Life at the MTC this week has really been the greatest of all the MTC weeks. Maybe it will be the greatest of them all, I don't know, but I will tell you all about it:

On Wtorek (Tuesday) I had CMS with Brat Smalley one of my Polish teachers. In CMS we meet one-on-one and discuss all things we want to improve on, language studies, personal studies, spiritual studies, i tak dalej i tak dalej (etc.) Brat Smalley asked me, "What kind of missionary do you want to be?" 

His question really struck a note within me, I have not given much thought to what I want the people in Poland to think of me. Do I want them to think of me as hard-working, Christ-like, a great teacher... ideally I would like to become all of the above. Brat Smalley told me I will change on my mission, all missionaries do. Theoretically the change is for the best, we are made better as our lives are touched by the Lord through helping others come unto Christ. He shared a poem given in a talk from April 2001 by Elder Packer: A Touch of the Master's Hand

’Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
Thought it scarcely worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin,
But held it up with a smile:
“What am I bidden, good folks,” he cried,
“Who’ll start the bidding for me?”
“A dollar, a dollar”; then, “Two!” “Only two?
Two dollars, and who’ll make it three?
Three dollars, once; three dollars, twice;
Going for three—” But no,
From the room, far back, a gray-haired man
Came forward and picked up the bow;
Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,
And tightening the loose strings,
He played a melody pure and sweet
As a caroling angel sings.
The music ceased, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said, “What am I bid for the old violin?”
And he held it up with the bow.
“A thousand dollars, and who’ll make it two?
Two thousand! And who’ll make it three?
Three thousand, once, three thousand, twice,
And going, and gone!” said he.
The people cheered, but some of them cried,
“We do not quite understand
What changed its worth.” Swift came the reply:
“The touch of a master’s hand.”
And many a man with life out of tune,
And battered and scarred with sin,
Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd,
Much like the old violin.
A “mess of pottage,” a glass of wine,
A game—and he travels on.
He’s “going” once, and “going” twice,
He’s “going” and almost “gone.”
But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that’s wrought
By the touch of the Master’s hand

In addition to Brat Smalley's inspired message, we were privileged to hear from Elder Holland (quorum of the Twelve Apostles) for our Tuesday Devotional. The message shared in devotional was also about change and how we should expect to be changed on our missions. Through our conversion to the Gospel, we will change. 

The change that takes place through conversion is part of eternal progression, in other words, after we change there is no going back. 

In summary of Tuesday's messages I decided, I know I will change on my mission. I know that as I work hard and diligently study the scriptures and the Spirit's guidance, I will learn more about the gospel and my faith will be nourished. Through my efforts to be better, I know my life will change. I know that as I help others come unto Christ, our Maker will touch the lives of others. I want the people of Poland to know their worth, to see the perspective with which their Savior sees them. I know that as I help others come unto Christ, I too will develop a closer relationship with my Heavenly Father. I desire to serve the people of Polish selflessly and to learn true empathy for Heavenly Father's children. 

I came across my missionary scripture for the time being:
(Mormon 9:27)

"...Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lord with all your heartand work out your own salvation 
with fear and trembling before him."

Then Sroda (Wednesday) was a break through day with the Polish language. We started out trying to SYL (Speak Your Language) throughout our day which I believe helped us speak better Polish in our class. Siostra Bart was so happy, she told us our improvement from our last class was so amazing, there may have been some water in her eyes.

I think of SYL like my freshman drawing  class at BYU:
My teacher Mr. Larsen emphasized learning how to access the more creative part of our brains. The part that is not so analytical and needs facts to process information. To succeed in the class it was necessary we accessed the portion of our brains which helped us see objects with a different perspective. If that makes any sense then GREAT!

You might be asking "o co chodzi?" (As in, okay Siostra Young, what are you getting at?)
Chodzi mi o to (I am getting at this) when we learn how to access the part of our brain the processes different languages, we will become faster and more efficient in said language. Wienz (so) because Siostra Craig and I really made an effort to fill our day and well past days with Polish, I think are brains are starting to readjust and rewire themselves!

In summary: THE GIFT OF TONGUES IS REAL AND ALL I WANT TO DO IS SPEAK POLISH!

Our Polish lessons became so much smoother throughout the day, we were able to better help one another and teach with the Spirit. We were more excited and enthusiastic than before, all in all, it was a dobry dzien. 

Siostra Bart shared an analogy with us after we finished teaching her o ewangelia Jezusa Chrystusa, she notice our excitement and taught: The restoration in like a box. Inside the box is a pearl and the pearl symbolizes the gospel. Well it just so happens pearls are my favorite, wienz ewangelia Jezusa Chrystusa jest teraz moj favorite!

That is all I have to report for this week! Next week: my favorite MTC food hacks. 
-Siostra Young

Sometimes we complement each other


Each day is one step closer to POLAND!


Elder Holland came to speak :)

No comments:

Post a Comment